So, I started writing this post a few weeks late…but better late than never (my tagline for life).
I remember watching “13 Going on 30” in 2004 thinking Who would ever wish to be 30? Well, now that I am approaching my 30th year of life on this earth, I realize turning 30 isn’t something I should be afraid of. Rather, it is a year I should embrace wholeheartedly as the year I grow; the year I change; the year I thrive.
I realize now that 30 is only scary if you have nothing to look forward to – if your dreams are dead or if your health is diminishing. My dreams are still very much alive and I have plans to be the healthiest me this year.
I don’t want to be intimidated by my age – I want to look forward to every day ahead.
To do so, I have made it my goal to focus on each year as it comes, making little changes to my well-being along the way. This year, I am starting with my fitness and health.
Let me cut to the chase here and say that I realize I’m not truly overweight. But I have more reasons to get healthy than pounds to lose.
1. My Overall Health – I currently don’t eat very healthy. If you look at my day, it is filled with quick and easy-to-reach food. My meals require very minimal effort to feed my ravenous and impatient appetite. Most of the time, not a vegetable was seen. This definitely needs to change.
2. My Skin – I have eczema, but I have faith that changing the way I eat can heal this. It is usually an issue of diet. Plus, I want that healthy glow.
3. My Emotional Impulses – Back to point #1: my ravenous and impatient appetite. I hate giving into my cravings, but I can’t help but feel like I need the food that I crave. If left alone, SHE (my emotional and unstable alter ego…heh) comes out and she is always hangry. I want to drive a celery stick into her heart and make sure she never reminds me of another donut-filled day.
4. My Stamina – I’m not in the worst condition as far as endurance goes, but I know eating better and exercising more can drastically change this. I want to feel strong and be strong.
5. Future Experiences – With good eating and consistent exercise, I’ll be able to do the things that I love with the ones I love. Tim and I plan on backpacking and outdoor excursions once we’re out of debt and I want to be able to do these things with ease.
6. Life Longevity – My dad passed away from hypertension when he was only 43 years old. He missed out on my siblings growing up, my wedding, and other important experiences all because of his mental and physical health. I don’t want my life to end that way. I want to be around for my husband and for the future of my family.
7. To Be Inspirational – I know so many people are struggling with health and fitness issues. I want to achieve my goals so that others can see that it’s possible. I want those who know me to realize that what I obtained is obtainable for them as well.
8. To Be My Healthiest by 30 – If you didn’t read my last post, I will be turning 30 this year. It’s known as the Dirty 30, but it’s not an appealing term. I want to be 30, Flirty, and Thriving instead (yes, I got this from 13 Going On 30…cue the ’80s music).
9. To Fit My Clothes Again – No more struggling to fit my favorite skinny jeans.
10. To Look Good in a Bikini Again – Well, this is an obvious for most people. I know confidence in one’s curves is a thing now for this generation, but I honestly hate jiggling around in a bikini.
11. I’m Tired of Being Tired – I have such low energy these days and I know my eating habits are to blame.
12. To Feel Adult(ish) – I always admired people who could down a salad without dressing and go back for more. To me, this is a true sign of maturity.
13. To Stay Forever Young – Sure, I want to seem adult, but I want to stay looking young and feeling youthful. Diet and exercise are the keys to such living.
I’ll be posting monthly pictures of my progress! Any encouragement and/or tips for me would definitely go a long way!
Come September 20th, I will be face-to-face with a fitter, healthier Nicole. I will then throw myself a “30, Flirty, and Thriving” Party that you’re all invited to. It will be a beautifully ’80s/’90s/’00s themed party as it was in the movie and it will be awesome.
Do you have any health or fitness tips for me? Share them in the comments!